Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thankful Thursday - My Baby Brother

It is always hard for me to decide what to write about on Thankful Thursday because I have so stinkin' much to be thankful for!  I've been missing my brother, Kevin, so I decided to write about him today.

I have one brother.  He is my my oldest and dearest friend.  I have known him since the day he was born :-)  I'm not sure how I made it my first 2 years and 2 months without him!  I don't remember a time when I didn't absolutely adore him.  We played and played together as kids.  We dressed up, rode bikes, climbed trees and played games.  No matter what, we always had each other.  

Kevin is a great athlete.  He could play any sport once he gave it a try and he was always good.  I couldn't beat him at so much as a game of checkers!  He played football, baseball, basketball and soccer.  He even did a little track and field!  His real love was basketball and that is the sport he chose in High School.  I loved getting to see him play.  I spent a lot of years at all kinds of sports fields watching my brother play and I was always so very proud of him.  He went to Temple Junior College  for one year to play ball.  After that year, he transferred to Texas A&M and was a walk on for the basketball team.  It was a great experience for him to play a year on a Division I team.  He was a Petroleum Engineering major - so studies overtook basketball after that year.  

Did I mention that my brother is really smart?  Well, he is.  He made great grades and seemed to be able to figure out just about anything.  He has always been a hard worker and highly motivated.  After graduation, he moved to New Orleans to work for Chevron.  We got to share some great times together in High School and during our college years.  Life was always more fun when I got to hang out with my baby brother.  

One of my favorite memories is when he was 18 and I had gone back home for a visit.  He went and saw Friday the 13th with some of his buddies.  I was already asleep when he came in.  My door opened and there was my big, hulking brother (did I mention my baby brother is 6'5"!) coming in with his pillow and slept on the floor right by my bed.  He knew I would protect him!

It has been my privilege to watch my brother grow in to a man, get married and raise 4 kids.  He is a man who loves the Lord and loves his family.  He is there when anyone needs him and has such a generous heart.  He is a good man.  He is gentle and he is incredibly strong.  He is someone that I admire and adore.  

Kevin lives in Australia now and I don't get to see him very often.  I miss him but know he would be here in an instant if I needed him.  I am so thankful for my baby brother.  I see Jesus in him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment