Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Thursday's Thoughts ~ Just read the directions




First Corinthians 16:13-14 is one of those jewels in Scripture where living life is summed up very succinctly.  We can make it very complicated when it is perhaps simpler than we think.

"Be on the alert, 
stand firm in the faith, 
act like men, be strong.  
Let all that you do be done in love."

Be on the alert.

Pay attention!  Certainly be on the alert for our true adversary.  We are told that he is always on the prowl. (1st Peter 5:8)
Be alert to the whispers, shouts and leading of the Holy Spirit.

Be alert for opportunities to love, serve, share, encourage and bless others.

Be intentional.

Stand firm in the faith.

I don't know when we have needed this more.  The pressure and temptation to be "less so" in our beliefs and actions is pervasive.  There is pressure to back off, fit in and shut up.  Jesus calls us to be kind but courageous.

Act like men.

Well, this is a little problematic for me!  In this context, I'm thinking it relates back to being alert and standing firm.  It is a call to step it up -- to live boldly and with purpose -- to be decisive and lead where God calls.

Be strong.

Boy, most days I feel weak, not strong, but the good news is that the Lord is mighty in my weakness.  So in those times, I need to be strong in my resolve to lean into His strength.  I rely on Him for the strength to be His woman in each and every situation.

Let all you do be done in love.

This is the umbrella over every thing that has been commanded here.  ALL is pretty ALL encompassing - isn't it?  How would my life change if I allowed this to always be my first thought - the filter that every word and action must go through before it takes place.

The Lord knows this is challenging.  In some ways, the other things seem easier, but without the love, they don't amount to much.  The heart of the gospel is love and only through the power of Jesus can we live that out.

I'm not that great with directions, but I want this passage to direct my steps each day.  I am thankful for the Word and how very down to earth with a heavenly touch it is.  I'm thankful that the Lord gives us direction and then gives us the power to follow it.


No comments:

Post a Comment