Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Monday, January 20, 2014

Monday Musings ~ Worn Wallets

I've been back in Chicago for a week.  I finally feel like I am back at home!  It has been cold, snowy and wonderful.  I have reconnected with friends and spent time painting at Hamilton Elementary.  It all came together as we arrived at church yesterday and saw our "family" here.  My heart is happy and content!

I have been reveling in some wonderful time with the Lord this past week.  The Holy Spirit has been teaching me new truth from very familiar passages.  I am soaking it up!  I wanted to share what I learned out of my reading in Luke 12 the other day.

"Sell your possessions and give to charity; make yourselves money belts which do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near or moth destroys.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  Luke 12:33-34

I love this text.  It always challenges me.  When is enough, enough?  But today, I was struck by the phrase "make yourselves money belts which to do not wear out." 

That phrase makes me think of all the purses and wallets I have had over the years that have worn down and been discarded.  It makes me think of Alan's wallet right now - so worn out and stretched out that everything falls out!  It has a little cash, cards, business cards, receipts and assorted other interesting things!



So I asked myself, what would a money belt 
be like that did not wear out?
What would it contain?

It would have to be something crafted by the Spirit.  Perhaps it would be a belt of my inheritance in Christ - a sure and strong fabric that is eternal.

What would be in that belt?

It would have to be things that would last into eternity.   I read through a number of scriptures that spoke of our inheritance in Christ.  Here are the goods!

Salvation

Redemption

Forgiveness

Grace

Wisdom

Insight

The Spirit

Purpose

God's promises

WOW.  It was such a sweet moment of the Lord speaking to me about how much He loves me and all that He has for me. 

It is a reminder to keep my eyes and my affections centered on Him.

I was thinking about a commercial that was played over and over again a few years ago.  The tag line in the commercial was . . .

What's in your wallet?

I am asking myself that question and marveling in God's grace as He gifts me with my inheritance in Christ.  One that I absolutely do not deserve - cannot earn - and have in full because of what Jesus did for me.


I'm trading in my worn wallets for the one that does not wear out.

How about you?

Are you holding tightly to your wallet or to the One who fashions a wallet that just won't wear out?

Let's revel in our inheritance.


No comments:

Post a Comment