Life is all about change. When you trust an unchanging God - you have the ability to embrace change and trust Him in the midst of it. Join me as the Lord leads me through a new phase of my journey.

Friday, February 17, 2012

Friday's Contemplations

My Thursday turned out to be packed out - so I thought I would give myself until today to write.  I have been learning so much that it is actually hard to choose.  About a week ago, I read Psalm 19.  I love this Psalm and it is one of those that sings the praises of God's Word.


I have to tell you, I love my Bible (you may have heard that before).  If I had to name the one thing that the Lord has used to sustain me throughout my life, it would have to be His Word.  You know that age old question about, "If your house caught on fire, what is the one thing you would grab (besides the other people in the house)?  My Bible always comes to mind first.  I could get another Bible - true - but what I treasure about my Bibles over the years is the notes I have written in them, dates I have placed beside treasured promises and encouragement and all that underlining.  It is a testimony of the journey that the Lord has marked out for me and walked with me.


Here are the verses that I focused on:

 7The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul;
The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
8 The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart;
The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever;
The judgments of the LORD are true; they are righteous altogether.
10 They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb.
11 Moreover, by them Your servant is warned;
In keeping them there is great reward.
12 Who can discern his errors? Acquit me of hidden faults.
13 Also keep back Your servant from presumptuous sins;
Let them not rule over me; Then I will be blameless,
And I shall be acquitted of great transgression.
14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight,
O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer. 


God's Word and my relationship with Him can not be separated.  He speaks to me in such a strong way through His Word.  It is like opening a conversation.

* God's Word is perfect.  It is exactly what I need.  It is sure, right, pure and enlightening.  It endures forever.

* It restores my soul - there are so many times that NOTHING could bring me peace or settle my heart - except for God's Word.  The way the Word impacts my soul can not be measured.  It restores me to that steadfastness of Christ.

* God's Word makes wise the simple (YEA) Anytime that I need advice and certainly, anytime I give it -- the Word is central.  There is no true wisdom apart from God.

* God's truth makes my heart rejoice - His words bring me deep, abiding JOY.

* God's Word enlightens my eyes.  I can only see rightly and clearly in the light of God's Word.  It has to be the lens that I see everything else through.

* God's Word is the only Righteous Judge.  Only God can truly judge with Righteousness.  Judgment is not my job.  All I can do is point others to the Word.

* God's Word is valuable.  It is compared with gold and the sweetness of honey.  Maybe today it would be compared with having stock in Apple or fine dining - you get the picture.  It is far beyond the most valuable thing that you can imagine.

* God's Word Warns - If I stay in it, read it, study it and commit myself to it, God will send up red flags when I am straying or when my thinking is being compromised by my own sin, my culture or my pride.  It points out my errors and brings to light my hidden sins (they are certainly not hidden from God.)

* God's Word keeps arrogance from creeping in - from my own sense of right to rule over me.  I only want God to have authority over my life.

* I long for my life to be pleasing to the Lord - in my words and my thoughts - and then evidenced in my actions and more importantly, in my interactions.

O Lord, my ROCK and my REDEEMER


I love the end of Psalm 19.  I am so thankful that the Lord is my ROCK and my REDEEMER.  He has redeemed me from a life that could have been completely selfish, self focused and sin driven.  He has redeemed my mistakes, my shortcomings and even my foolishness and used it for His good. 


Oh, how I love His Word.  

Keep me thirsty for it, Jesus.  

I want to know you more.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment